Sunday, July 19, 2009

I survived camping with infant twins!

A week of camping with 2 infants and no husband. It can be done, but boy was it hard. The monkeys, my mom and I went to our family reunion in Indiana. It was a 10 day trip with a week of camping. The girls and I spent the week in a tent. They loved their Pea Pod tents! I put one outside for them to play in and one in my tent for them to sleep in at night.

It rained every day and we had a severe storm come through. The humidity was oppressive, which made the girls extremely cranky. That combined with teething had me drinking before lunch one day. The girls were super clingy and didn't want anyone but me and my mom to hold them. There just wasn't much time when the girls were awake that I could put them down or pass them off without them screaming. Thankfully my mom was a huge help. I probably wouldn't have survived without her.

Everything considered, the monkeys did really well and I think they liked it a lot. It was a good trip, but it was also really disappointing. I really underestimated how much work the trip was going to be. I had thought that, with so many hands around to hold the monkeys, I would be able to spend some quality time visiting with my grandma and the rest of the family, but that didn't really happen since the girls needed so much attention. In retrospect, I wish I had rented a camper, but I'm also kind of proud of myself for doing it the way I normally would and making it work.

Most of the pictures are pirated from my mom and from my brother's girlfriend Kelly. I just couldn't seem to get to my camera. I can't remember the last time I went on a trip and took such a small number of pictures!

Kelly, my brother and Grandma.

The monkeys having some dinner.

Isabella full and happy.

Sean, Isabella, Mom and Caitlin

Sean with Caitlin and Isabella. Caitlin was mad that Sean wouldn't share his beer. That's Dick lounging in the background.

Ugh! I somehow managed to get a few large puddles of water between my tarp and the floor of my tent during one of the torrential downpours. There must have been an edge of the tarp sticking out. That's what happens when you rush to throw a tent up while trying to keep infants happy. This is us moving everything to get it all dried out before the next round of rain came in.

Grandma giving Isabella a frozen cloth to chew on. Oh sweet relief!

Sean with Isabella.

The monkeys playing with their cousin Jaime.

Caitlin and Isabella playing.

Isabella on a mission.

Caitlin happy with her momma.

The monkeys playing near their Pea Pod. Isn't it cute?!

Caitlin spending some time with her frizzy haired momma. Ugh - midwestern humidity sucks!

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I have a blog at www.picturecamping.com where I feature people's posts about camping, and I would like to send my readers your way. Of course I would give you credit for quotes and would link back to your site.

    Thanks for considering this,

    Jean B. in SC

    ReplyDelete