Monday, August 10, 2009

Silent Observer

Our first family photo.

The monkeys on their birth day.

So small! So perfect! So loved!

One night last week I went in to check on the monkeys like I do every night before I go to sleep. It was late and I was exhausted. The floor squeaked and Isabella sat up. I froze in place hoping that she would lay back down without seeing me. She looked around and crawled over toward me. I had a moment of panic thinking I had woken her up and would have to give her a bottle to get her back to sleep. It wasn't me she wanted though.

When she reached Caitlin she stopped and started grabbing at Caitlin's face. I had another moment of panic thinking I was going to be feeding two babies in the middle of the night. Caitlin barely stirred though. Isabella grabbed at Caitlin a couple of more times then she laid back down. I waited a moment for her to go back to sleep. Instead she sat up again and searched around on the mattress in front of Caitlin. Not finding what she wanted, she grabbed at Caitlin once more. This time she was able to get to Caitlin's mouth and found the object of her desire. With a swift tug, she removed Caitlin's paci, placed it in her own mouth and promptly drifted off to sleep once again.

I crept back to my own bed with a smile and the joy of seeing first hand how much my babies have bonded during their first year.

1 comment: