Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Separation anxiety

Caitlin is having some major separation anxiety. She does not want her momma to be out of her sight. Every time I walk out of the room she cries. Sometimes she cries when I am simply on the other side of the room. In one respect it is cute that she loves me so much. In another respect this is a really frustrating development. This is why.

My cousin Stacey was here with a friend last week for spring break. On Thursday, I took Stacey and her friend to the airport. Caitlin started crying on the way home. I knew she was a little tired and thought she would fall asleep like she usually does. I was so wrong. She worked her way into a frantic episode. Caitlin does not get really upset very often, but when she does it is a major event and takes awhile to get her to calm down. This was one of those times and, of course, I was in rush hour traffic and I was alone with the monkeys. As she became more frantic, I kept thinking about the vomiting and choking episode. I was concerned that she was going to work herself into such a frenzy that she would vomit again while I was stuck in traffic with no way to get out and nowhere to pull over. I took the first exit I could and parked to calm her down.

After trying unsuccessfully to get Caitlin to stay reasonably calm with me out of her sight, I eventually had to call Jeff and mom to come get us. She probably would have been ok, but I was too leery to try it after the choking incident. When they finally met up with us (almost 1 1/2 hours after I first stopped), mom sat in the back with the girls and we headed home. Even with mom there, Caitlin was practically inconsolable until we were almost home. As soon as she could see me again she was just fine and didn't cry at all.

Thankfully, there are a lot of sweet moments like the one in this picture where all she wants is to be close to her sissy. These moments make it easy to forget all of our recent car drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment